Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Corinne Bailey Rae



"Just like a star across my sky, just like an angel off the page, you have appeared to my life, feels like i'll never be the same, just like a song im my heart, just like oil on my hands". These are lyrics too one of my all time favorite British song writer, Corinne Bailey Rae's song entitled "just like a star". I remember the first time i saw this talented female. It was around 2 a.m. a few years ago and i was watching Vh1 new artists. Thats when her first music video "put your records on" played and all i could think was who was this teenage girl with this amazing voice, later on I found out that she was born in 1979.

Corinne Bailey Rae was born in Leeds to a black Kittitian father and a white English mother as the oldest of three daughters. She started her first album "Corrine Bailey Rae" in 2005, which sold over 1.9 million copies in the U.S. because of songs like "just like a star" and "put your records on", which happens to be her biggest hit to date. Because of her talent, Rae was nominated for Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best New Artist at the 2007 Grammy Awards Ceremony. The following year she went on to win Album of the Year and Best Contemporary Jazz Album. In 2008 Rae experienced a tragic loss when her husband, Jason Rae was found dead in the Hyde Parks area of Leeds from a overdose of methadone and alcohol. Below are links to three of my favorite songs by her. They are "like a star", "put your records on" and "breathless"



No comments:

Post a Comment